Our role as a Hillside Police Officer begins with our mission statement:
‘The Hillside Police Department is devoted to maintaining the safety and security of citizens in the community through a partnership with those citizens.’
It is further defined by the law enforcement code of ethics, which read in part:
As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; the protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice.
Enumerated duties include:
Patrol will generally provide the following services within the limits of available resources:
- Patrol that is directed at the prevention of criminal acts, traffic violations and collisions, the maintenance of public order, and the discovery of hazardous situations or conditions.
- Crime prevention activities such as residential inspections, business inspections, community presentations, etc.
- Calls for service, both routine and emergency in nature.
- Investigation of both criminal and noncriminal acts.
- The apprehension of criminal offenders.
- Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving activities such as citizen assists and individual citizen contacts of a positive nature.
- The sharing of information between the Patrol and other divisions within the Department, as well as other outside governmental agencies.
- The application of resources to specific problems or situations within the community, which may be improved or resolved by Community Oriented Policing and problem solving strategies.
- Traffic direction and control.